What Cover do I have?

The policy is divided into five main sections namely:

Section A – Building
Section B –Contents
Section C – All Risks
Section D – Workmen Injury Takaful
Section E – Owners Liability
Section F – Occupiers Liability

Section A,B & C provides indemnity against material loss to the property caused by:

Fire, lightning, thunderbolt and explosion of domestic boilers and gas
Earthquake, riot, strike, volcanic eruption and subterranean fire
Aircraft and other aerial objects
Escape of water from any tank, apparatus or pipes
Impact with the Buildings by any road vehicle or animal not belonging to the Participant or any member of his family normally
Theft accompanied by actual forcible or violent breaking into or out of the residence or any attempt

Section D covers death or injury to domestic workers arising out of and in the course of employment as per the Workmen Injury benefits Act (2007).

Section E & F will indemnify the owner of the residence against liability at law to pay compensation in respect    of:

Accidental bodily injury including illness to any person other than a member of the participant family or person in his service
Accidental loss of or damage to property not belonging to or in custody or control of the participant or family member or person in his service.

How long is it for?

Your policy cover will normally run for 12 months and is renewable annually.

How much must I pay if I have a claim?

As indicated in the policy document

How do I make a claim?

You should report to us immediately. We will ask you for the following:

Completed claim form
Police abstract report
Evidence of value in form purchase receipts and replacement receipts for items beyond repair
In case of loss of stock provide also stock records, purchase invoices, delivery notes, sale receipts, annual accounts and bank statements for the last six months.
In case of material damage provide repair estimates and current replacement cost if the items are beyond repair.
For damage to buildings provide bills of quantities from three reputable contractors or quantity surveyors. In any case, we appoint a loss adjuster for such losses but this will not dispense off with this requirement

Can I cancel the policy ?

You should report to us immediately. We will ask you for the following documents:

You may cancel the policy at any time by telling us in writing. We may cancel the policy by giving you seven days’ written notice to your last known address. We will charge you on a pro rata basis for the time we have been on cover plus an administration fee of Ksh.1,000 and pay any refund due to you. There will be no refund if we have paid a claim or one is outstanding at the time you cancel your policy.